When it comes to simplicity, birthday parties can feel anything but simple. We want to give gifts that a kid will love, but we also want it to reflect our values as well. For our family, that means I try to avoid gifting items to others families that could potentially turn into clutter. I love gifting experiences, but there are other options too. Here are 15 ideas for clutter-free, low-waste gifts that kids will love.
- National Geographic Little Kids. This is my favorite magazine subscription for little kids. I usually print out a mini-image of the cover and stick it in the envelope with a note that says the child will be receiving a one-year subscription.
- Transfer Stickers. These stickers are anything but typical stickers. They are a great fine motor activity and can easily be recycled after they are completed.
- Art Making with Moma. These art kits are great for the non-Pinterest savvy families. They contain everything you need for a free-flowing artistic experience.
- Seedling Activity Kit. There are a million different Seedling kits. They tailor to a variety of interests. Most are environmentally friendly and allow kids to create projects that facilitate free play.
- Create-Your-Own-Puzzles. These puzzles are a blank slate. Not only is it fun to decorate and create them, but then they can be used and reused for fun.
- Paper Dolls. I loved paper dolls as a kid. This classic will still be a hit with children.
- Think Green Cardboard Maze. It’s a maze that you get to build, play with, and then recycle. You can enjoy it and you don’t have to feel bad about getting rid of of it.
- Organic Mushroom Growing Kit. This kit contains the necessary components for kids to grow beautiful mushrooms. Maybe they will even eat them. 🙂
- Coloring Pad. I prefer these coloring pads to traditional coloring books. Children can pull out and easily focus on one page at a time.
- Green Kid Crafts Subscription box. I have tried a few subscription boxes and I like this one best. The activities are simple, thematic, and eco-friendly.
- Easy Playhouse. This simple house has loads of creative potential. Decorate it and then use it for open-ended play until it’s ready to hit the recycling bin.
- DIY Natural Bathbombs. I haven’t tried these, but I want to. I would be totally happy if my kids made some of these for me.
- Dessert for the Family. It can be hard to find experience gifts that are affordable. If I am gifting an experience gift to the child, I prefer to make it substantial enough to cover the whole family–ice cream or dessert usually fits that budget.
- Bubble bath. Bubble bath is a special treat in our family. Because it’s consumable, it can be a great clutter-free gift to give to others as well.
- Back to Roots Garden in a Can. These herb kits include everything you need to be grown and harvested right in the [included] can. You can either leave it in there or transfer it into the ground.
What are your favorite clutter-free gifts to give?
WANT THE FREE E-BOOK?
Join the weekly newsletter. You will receive the free 'Start Simple' e-book.